A delicious treat for your next Halloween party.
Ghost Vanilla Cupcake
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ¼ cup Halloween candy (lightly coated in flour)
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange food coloring
Fondant Ghost Decorations
- white fondant
- black nonpareils or candy pieces
- edible white luster dust (optional)
- mini ghost cookie cutter
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a cupcake pan with twelve paper baking cups.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
- Combine the vanilla and milk in a large liquid measuring cup.
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then gradually add one third of the milk mixture, beating slowly until well incorporated. Add another third of the flour mixture, followed by another third of the milk mixture. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk mixture, and beat just until combined.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the candy into the batter.
- Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, fill each baking cup so that it is two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (start checking at 15 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the buttercream frosting:
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer. Beat until well combined or until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Transfer the frosting into a plastic piping bag, fitted with a large round metal tip.
Frosting the cupcakes:
- Apply the Georgetown Cupcake “signature swirl” of frosting on top of each cupcake, by starting in the center of the cupcake, and applying pressure to the bag, and going around the cupcake in a circular motion, then ending again in the center with a burst of pressure.
Making the fondant ghost decorations:
- Roll out the white fondant into a sheet approximately ¼ inch thick. Using a small ghost-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a ghost shape.
- Gently press in two black candy nonpareils for the ghost’s eyes.
- Place on top of cupcake. Repeat for each cupcake. Serve & enjoy!
Get more information about this episode >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page