Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 1¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sifted cocoa powder
- ½ cup crushed toffee
Ingredients for Buttercream Frosting
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon purple food coloring
Ingredients for Spiderweb Decorations
- ½ cup fudge topping, slightly warmed
Directions for the Cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a cupcake pan with twelve paper baking cups, and a second pan with six baking cups.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, and set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, cream
together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slowly after each addition.
5. Combine the vanilla and milk in a large liquid measuring cup.
6. Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then gradually add one third of the milk mixture, beating slowly until well incorporated. Add another third of the flour mixture, followed by another third of the milk mixture. Stop to scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the remaining flour mixture, followed by the remaining milk mixture, and beat just until combined.
7. Add the cocoa powder, beating on low speed just until incorporated.
8. Using a spatula, gently fold in the crushed toffee.
9. Using a standard-size ice cream scoop, fill each baking cup so that it is two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes (start checking at 15 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the buttercream frosting:
1. Place all ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer. Beat until well combined or until the frosting is light and fluffy.
2. Transfer the frosting into a plastic piping bag, fitted with a large round metal tip.
Frosting the cupcakes:
1. Apply the Georgetown Cupcake “signature swirl” of frosting on top of each cupcake, by starting in the center of the cupcake, and applying pressure to the bag, and going around the cupcake in a circular motion, then ending again in the center with a burst of pressure.
Making the fudge spider web decorations:
1. Transfer the fudge topping (slightly warmed) to a plastic freezer bag. Cut a tiny opening into the corner of the bag and squeeze fudge topping on top of cupcake to create a spider web pattern: one line of fudge down the center, one line of fudge across the center, two lines down each diagonal, and then connect all lines with short slightly curved strokes to finish the web. Repeat for each cupcake. Serve and enjoy!
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page