- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup (240 ml) mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lemon (2 to 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Canola oil for shallow-frying
- 1 pound (455 g) catfish or other
- firm white fish fillets, cut into
- 1 by 2-inch (2.5 by 5-cm) pieces (about 24 total)
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning, like Old Bay
- 1 cup (80 g) panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pilsner or lager beer
- 2 baguettes, cut into thirds
- 6 to 7 radishes, thinly sliced
Put the avocado in a medium bowl and mash using a fork until almost smooth. It’s okay if there are a few lumps. Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, and capers and mix with the fork until well combined. Taste and season with salt if needed. Cover the remoulade with plastic wrap and press it onto the surface to prevent any browning. Store in the refrigerator until you build the sandwiches.
Heat 1/₂ inch (12 mm) of oil in a cast-iron skillet to 345°F (175°C). Lay out the fish pieces and pat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle them with the seafood seasoning. Combine the bread crumbs, flour, and baking powder in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/₈ teaspoon salt and 1/₄ teaspoon pepper. Combine the egg and beer in a second bowl. Dip the fish in the egg mixture, letting any excess drip off, then dredge it in the flour mixture. Working in batches, fry the catfish in the hot oil, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes total. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with salt.
Assemble the Sandwiches:
Split each baguette piece open and remove some of the center to make room for the po’ boy ingredients. Spread both sides of the bread with remoulade—a little on the bottom and much more on the top, 3 to 4 tablespoons total per sandwich. Place four catfish nuggets on each sandwich and top with radish slices. Serve immediately.
You may also like these recipes: