Damaris Phillips shows how to make the perfect pumpkin spice scones with a delicious citrus orange glaze.
Spiced Pumpkin Scones
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Heat oven to 400˚F.
For the Scones:
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Add the flour. Cut in the butter using a bowl scraper until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, egg, and milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Fold until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, 5 to 7 times. Form into a flat disc, about 8 inches wide. Cut the disc like a pie into six pieces and place on a parchment-lined sheet. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet.
For the Glaze:
- In a medium bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and zest. Cover with a damp towel until you are ready to use. Dip the top of each scone in the glaze, letting any excess glaze drip back into the bowl. Place on a cooling rack. Sprinkle with the raw sugar and let set.