Chef Damaris Phillips of Food Network's "Kids BBQ Championship" is baking a delicious treat.
Apple Cheddar Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cups small diced green apple
- 3/4 cups smoked cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 1/4- 1/2 cups whole fat buttermilk
- Special equipment: a 3-inch biscuit cutter
Chef Damaris Phillips - Home & Family
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, the sugar, and salt in a medium bowl using a whisk. Using a bowl scraper or your fingers, mix in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal; using your fingers will create a more cake-like texture. Add the green apples, the cheese and the onions, stir to combine. Make a well in the center and pour in 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk. Stir until just combined. If the dough looks dry add the remaining buttermilk.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 6-7 times. Pat the dough into a 1 1/2 -inch-thick disc and cut out biscuits using a 3-inch biscuit cutter. (Make sure you don't twist the cutter otherwise you'll squish the sides and the biscuit won't rise evenly.) Knead the scraps together, re-roll and cut out biscuits until all the dough has been used.
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (If your biscuits touch slightly they will rise more but look less uniform). Bake until golden brown, 20 to 23 minutes.
You may also like these recipes:
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page