Maria’s Candy Corn Meringue Pops are a crunchy, marshmallowy gourmet version of candy corn.
Candy Corn Meringue Pops
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 eggs) room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Yellow and orange gel food coloring
- Lollipop sticks, preferably 6"
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the sugar with cornstarch and cream of tartar in a small bowl.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat together the egg whites and salt on medium/high until glossy peaks start to form.
- Slowly add the sugar mixture to the beating egg whites in an even stream.
- Beat the egg whites on high until the mixture is voluminous and holds stiff peaks.
- Make sure the sugar is dissolved by rubbing it between two fingers if there is still some graininess than continue to mix.
- Scoop the mixture evenly into three bowls. Add a few drops of yellow gel coloring to one bowl, gently folding to combine. Repeat in a second bowl with orange gel coloring. Leave one bowl white.
- Scoop the three colors into three different piping bags.
- Pipe a triangle/candy corn shape onto the parchment-lined baking sheet by starting at the bottom with the yellow meringue and piping the mixture back and forth.
- Continue the design using the orange meringue and then finish with the white until you have a triangle with all three colors that looks like a large piece of candy corn.
- Insert a lollipop stick about 3/4 of the way into each meringue triangle.
- Bake the meringues at 225 for about 60 minutes or until each lollipop easily lifts off of the parchment paper.
- After 60 minutes, turn the oven off and crack it a bit and allow the meringue cool completely inside the oven for at least a few hours.
- Once cooled, remove baking sheet from oven and lift meringues off parchment paper.