Holiday Entree Ideas | Holiday Guide 2019
- One 17 lb turkey (cleaned/pat dry)
- Moroccan spice rub
- Herbed butter
- 1 cup large diced yellow onion
- 1 cup large diced celery
- 1 cup large diced carrots
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 3 minced sage leaves
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 sticks unsalted butter/8 oz (room temperature)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cup Grand Marnier (Orange Liqueur)
- Zest and Juice of one fresh Orange
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- ⅓ Cup of Sugar
- 1 Cup Frozen Cranberries
Yield: 1 Turkey
MOROCCAN SPICE RUB DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine all ingredients in small mixing bowl and mix until well incorporated.
HERBED BUTTER DIRECTIONS:
1. Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until incorporated, and smooth consistency. **Note: It takes about one day for each 4-5 lbs to defrost. So a 17 lb turkey will take about 4 to 5 days to thaw in the refrigerator.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, remove turkey from fridge and let it sit out until it comes to room temperature. About an hour.
2. With turkey right side up (turkey breast facing up). Carefully separate skin from the turkey neck hole, and generously rub herbed butter between turkey skin and turkey meat on both side of the turkey.
3. Flip turkey upside down and season generously with Moroccan spice rub, and flip turkey back right side up and season generously.
4. Divide vegetables equally, half of veggies go inside the turkey cavity. Tie legs together with butchers twine.
5. Place the other half of veggies on the bottom of the roasting pan along with chicken stock.
6. With turkey right side up (turkey breast side facing up) place in roasting pan, and immediately reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
7. Roast turkey until digital thermometer reads 160 degrees in the thickest part of the turkey thigh. About 3 - 3.5 hours, basting turkey with pan juices every 30 minutes.
8. Remove turkey from oven and place on sheet, and lightly cover turkey with aluminum foil about 20 mins.
9. **Feel free to make a pan gravy for turkey by straining pan drippings. Reserve 1/2 cup pan drippings and bring the rest of the pan drippings to a gentle boil in a medium size sauce pot.
10. In a small bowl , whisk 1 tablespoon corn starch with 1/2 cup reserved pan drippings until fully incorporated and slowly add to gently boiling pan drippings, whisking until it forms a gravy like consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
ZESTY CRANBERRY-ORANGE SAUCE
Yield: 1 cup
1. Put Grand Marnier in medium saucepan and reduce by ½, add zest and juice of one orange, 1 cup orange juice, frozen cranberries, bring to a boil; then simmer for 12 to 14 minutes until reduced to syrupy consistency
2. Set cranberry sauce aside to cool to room temperature.