Ring in the New Year with a flavorful and hearty soup that includes black-eyed peas.
About 4 to 6 Servings
- 1-lb ground hot Italian sausage
- 2 cups frozen fresh black-eyed peas
- 1 large onion (small diced)
- 1 cup small diced celery
- 3 cups washed/cleaned/chopped collard greens (tightly packed cup)
- 4 San Marzano tomatoes & 1/2 cup San Marzano tomatoes sauce from can
- 40 oz beef stock
- 1.5 cups sliced carrots
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced rosemary
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a large cast iron Dutch oven, turn heat to medium high heat and cook sausage until browned and cooked all the way through; about 7 to 9 mins.
- After sausage is fully cooked, removed from Dutch oven with slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Add butter and olive oil to Dutch oven, and add onion, garlic, celery sauté until onions and celery soften; about 5 to 7 mins. Add carrots and cook for an additional 3 mins.
- Add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, San Marzano tomatoes and juice and sauté until tomatoes have broken down; about 3 to 5 mins.
- Add collard greens, stir and cook until wilted down; about 4 to 6 mins.
- Add cooked sausage, black eyed peas, thyme leaves, and rosemary & continue cooking for about another 3 to 4 mins.
- Cover with beef stock, add bay leaf, stir and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until black eyed peas are tender and soft; about 25 to 30 mins
- Finish by stirring in fresh chopped Italian parsley.
- **If needed, season to taste with salt and pepper.