Give your walls a bit of a rustic feel with this shelf.
DIY Mountain Vista Shelf
- 1” x 4” x 8’ wooden planks
- Wood glue
- Miter saw (chop saw) or miter box and hand saw
- Power drill
- Phillips head bit
- Pilot hole bit
- Wood screws
- Painter’s tape
- White paint
- Hanging materials
- Nail gun and brad nails
Cut at 45-degree angle on both ends
- 9 1/2” x 4” (2)
- 11” x 4”
- 16” x 4”
- 36” x 4”
Cut at 45-degree angle on one end
- 5 1/2” x 4”
- 9 1/2" x 4”
- Cut your straight cuts first, then your 45-degree cuts. *Make sure all of your 45-degree angles are angled outward to create obtuse angles. *
- To create the peaks of your vista, join these pieces at the 45-degree angles making an “L” shape.
- 11” x 4” and 5 1/2”
- 16” x 4” and 9 1/2”
- 9 1/2” x 4” and 9 1/2” x 4”
- Rotate the “L” shapes and dry fit the placement of each piece to make sure everything lines up and fits properly onto the bottom piece.
- Glue and secure your peaks together, now you have a vista! *If you are using screws instead of the nailing, drill a pilot hole for each screw. *
- Line the bottom piece up to your vista and attach from the bottom at each point of contact. Make sure to use glue as well as nails or screws.
- Sand. Stain. Allow to dry.
- Tape off the caps of your mountains and paint them white.
- Add Snow-Tex in globs to add realistic snow details. Allow to dry.
- Hang as desired and enjoy!
More wall space to cover? check out: DIY Felt Banners or Oversized Gift Tags!