Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day with a recipe that kicks this classic American Grilled Cheese sandwich up a notch.
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese - Home & Family
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1-pound ground beef
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1-3 tablespoons ap flour
- 4 tbsp. Butter, for bread
- 8 slices crusty bread, or 4 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook until fragrant, 1-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up meat, until no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain fat.
- Add chili powder and dry mustard, cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until thick, about 5 minutes.
- If meat mixture doesn’t thicken appropriately, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour over the pan and stir to combine, then cook until thickened.
- When beef mixture is finished, transfer to bowl and wipe skillet clean with paper towel.
- Make the sandwiches: butter one side of each bread slice. Place 1 slice of bread, butter-side-down, in skillet, and sprinkle cheese on exposed face of bread. Allow this to melt briefly.
- Spoon beef mixture on top of cheese, then sprinkle more cheese on top and place another piece of bread, buttered-side-up.
- Cook sandwich over medium heat until bread is golden brown and nicely toasted, flipping to cook both sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 sandwiches total.