Chef Ellie Krieger shares how you can upgrade cocoa by skipping the packets and making your own hot chocolate mix.
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 6 ounces granulated sugar
- 9 ounces chocolate (milk, dark, white, or a mix)
- 3 ounces Dutch cocoa powder
- 2 ounces malted milk powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla bean powder
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine sugar, chocolate, dutch cocoa, malted milk powder, salt, and vanilla powder. Pulse until chocolate is fully ground and mixture looks powdery and dry. Transfer to airtight container. Store at cool room temperature.
- To use, stir about 1 ounce (2 tablespoons; 28g) of the mix into 6 ounces hot milk. Season to taste with additional salt or vanilla, and serve hot.