TO MAKE THE CHICKEN CHICHARRÓN:
1. Rub all chicken pieces with lime halves. Rinse in cool water and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a medium-size bowl, stir together vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
3. Add chicken to bowl and coat pieces evenly. Let chicken marinate for 1 hour, covered, in the refrigerator.
4. Remove chicken bowl from refrigerator and let it sit for 20 minutes before frying.
5. Fill a large, deep skillet or fryer ⅓ of the way with vegetable oil and heat to 325F degrees.
6. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown, about 12–15 minutes.
7. Remove chicken from oil with a slotted spoon, place on a rack, and immediately brush fried chicken with vinegar-water brushing mixture.
MAKE THE SMOTHERED ONIONS:
1. In the sauté pan, add butter and onions and sauté over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
2. Squeeze lime juice over the onions and add vinegar, remove pan from heat. Finish with celery leaves, salt, and pepper.
Serve the chicken chicharron with smothered onions.