Jeff shows off his techniques for creating delicious and kid-friendly grilled pizzas!
Tools for all recipes:
- Pizza peel or thin cookie pan
- Rolling pin (optional)
- Clean hands (not optional)
Ingredients for Pizza Dough:
- 8 Cups Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Instant Dry Yeast
- 3 Cups Warm Water
Ingredients for Pizza:
- All-Purpose Flour as needed
- Semolina or corn meal as needed
- One 3-4 ounce boule of pizza dough
- 3 Tablespoon Tomato Sauce (store bought pizza sauce is great for this)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Black Olives
- 3-4 slices grilled chicken (recipe below)
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- 1 each Chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch salt
- 1 Tablespoons chopped basil
- 1/2 lemon, zested
Directions for the Pizza Dough:
- Using a digital scale, precisely measure out each ingredient
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl with your hands until just combined
- Add water in three parts – gradually incorporating into the dry mix until there are no dry clumps
- Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit in room temperature for one hour
- Lightly flour the surface of a counter
- Remove dough gently using a spatula and place onto counter
- Press into a rectangle shape
- Fold it into the shape of an envelope
- Press flat again into a rectangle shape
- Fold it once more like an envelope then again into a rectangle
- Lightly coat a bowl with olive oil
- Place back into the bowl
- Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least 12 hours)
- Remove dough and cut portions into 300 g portions (approx. large softball size)
- Pre-heat the oven to 550 F with a pizza stone inside for at least 1 hour
- Shape or “boule” dough by pinching with hands until it becomes the shape of a pizza
- Top the pizza with desired toppings and bake until golden brown
Directions for the Chicken Pizza:
Grilled Kids’ Pizzas - Home & Family
- Pre-heat and light your grill. If using charcoal or wood allow the flame to die down. Also, make sure the grates are clean.
- First, prepare the chicken. In a bowl, toss the chicken breast with olive oil, salt, chopped basil and lemon zest. Place chicken on grill and cook through. Once cooled, thinly slice. (Chicken can be made ahead of time and stored until ready to use.)
- For the pizza, start by dusting flour on a clean workable surface. Place the pizza dough onto the clean workable surface and dust with more flour gentle. This is a fun time to get the kids involved by having them help stretch out and press down the pizza until it is thin and round. Or you can also use a rolling pin if needed.
- Lightly sprinkle the semolina or corn meal over the pizza peel or cookie pan then place dough on top.
- Top the pizza with the sauce and spread around evenly. Then add the cheese and olives. Carefully slide the pizza onto the grill, cover with lid and cook for 5-7 min (or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly brown). At this time you can either add the chicken to the pizza or wait to add once it is removed.
- Using the pizza peel, remove the pizza from the grill. Cut into 4-6 slices and serve. Depending on your child's likes, you can season with salt or add basil. BE CAREFUL AS IT WILL BE VERY HOT.
Recipe for Grilled Corn Pizza >>
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.