- A number of different size acrylic photo frames for aquarium: 4 for aquarium box: 1 large frame for planter base: 4 small cube frames for legs
- "Ocean design" paper for background and fish stickers
- Lightweight lava rock, sand, shells
- Succulent plants that look like coral reef plants and sea life
Directions to build the aquarium:
- Modpodge one side of the frame with the ocean design background
- Bond 4 acrylic photo frames together to form an open box using a special acrylic bonding gel called " Weld On 16" ( you can buy at home improvement store) (get someone to help you hold frames in place or you can use heavy books to lean against frame to add pressure)
- When finished putting open box together, let dry for an hour before the next step.
- Don't allow the Weld On 16 gel to drip on frame, it will make holes
- Open small photo cubes and insert small decorative shells
- Close cubes and bond them to the bottom of a large frame, which is our planting base. Let dry for one hour.
- Bond the box to the large frame, centering it in the middle You are now ready to start the plant design!
Directions to design your aquarium:
- First prepare the plants: There are many low water succulents that look like they come from the bottom of the ocean. Wrap wet moss around the succulent roots and secure with old panty hose
- Next, create planting pockets for your succulents by stacking lava rocks around terrarium where you will insert plants
- Layer pea gravel and moss where you want to add plants
- Add some sand around the rocks and 3d fish stickers for an authentic look
Directions to care for your aquarium:
- Water when pantyhose feels dry
- Place terrarium indoors in bright room
- Spray water on moss and plants until wet or add a splash of water in planting pockets
- Replace plants as needed
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.