1. To make these extra special for your pets, cut them into cute shapes. Trace the desired shape onto the backside of the mat with chalk.
2. Once you have the design you like, cut the mat to shape inside the line using heavy-duty scissors. These mats are thick! Discard the excess mat.
PRO TIP: If you want to add a border to the mat, use hot glue to attach rope around the edges.
3. Now trace out or lay out the stencils of the phrase you want to put on the mat. Draw with a pencil.
PRO TIP: If using a stencil, it is easier to lay out the stencil and mark it with a pencil or marker, then remove the stencil and simply paint inside the lines. Since the coir moves around a bit, you want to be very deliberate with your painting. Make sure to blot or dab the paint instead of painting brush strokes.
4. Because the coir is absorbent, you will need to use more paint that you usually would on a nonabsorbent surface. Keep applying paint until the area is fully saturated and you are happy with the design.
5. Set aside to dry.
6. Put under your pet’s food bowls and enjoy!