Kristin Smith makes a DIY Christmas Light Garland that will brighten up your holiday décor.
Christmas Light Garland
Christmas Decor, Kids
- Cardstock in Christmas light bulb colors like green, orange, yellow, blue and red
- Gray card stock
- Twine, yarn or thin ribbon
- Hole punch
- X-acto knife
- Metal ruler
- Cutting mat
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks or small stapler
- Paper cutter
- Cut all the cardstock strips to size. Cut the gray cardstock into 1 ¼”x 4” strips and cut the colorful cardstock into 1” x 8 ½” strips. You can do this with an x-acto and metal ruler on a cutting mat, but a paper cutter will make this part of the process much more convenient.
- Score the gray card stock every 1/2 inch and punch holes in the upper half of every 3rd section.
- Overlap the ends of the gray cardstock together to form the shape of a hexagon and glue or staple the ends together.
- To make the paper lightbulbs, fold each colorful strip of paper in half by lightly pressing a crease at the center. Pinch the two ends together and push the fold of the paper into the palm of your hand to crease the sides. Bring it back up, and it should resemble a Christmas lightbulb shape.
- Use a hole punch to punch a hole through the loose ends of the colorful strip together, near the top in the center.
- To string the lights together, place the top end of the colorful paper bulb into the gray base. Line the holes up to string the twine through the holes of both the gray base and the colorful strip.
- Repeat step 6 for all the paper Christmas light bulbs until you have created a full garland.
- Hang as desired and enjoy!