Do It Yourself Fabric Scrap Headbands
- Scrap fabric
- Fold over elastic
- sewing machine & basic sewing supplies
- Headband template
Download the headband diagram
- Using template, cut 2 headband pieces
- Fold fabric and place wide end of template on fold
- The headband pieces are 12 inches in length
- The oval shape headband is 1.25 inches on the ends and 2.5 inches in the middle.
- Cut a 10 inch piece of fold over elastic.
- Place the right sides of the fabric together.
- Fold down 1/4 inch and iron one end of headband.
- Slid in the FOE between the fabric pieces.
- Pin the pieces together.
- Starting at the end of the headband with the FOE sticking out, sew that end and the two long sides.
- Leave the other end of headband open.
- Leave a half inch on each side of 2 long sides on the open end.
- Next pull the inside out by pulling the inner fabric through the open end of headband.
- Iron the headband flat.
- Iron in a quarter inch on the open end of the headband.
- Slip the FOE in the opening (about 1/2 inch).
- I recommend measuring your child’s head to determine the perfect fit for elastic.
- Topstich all the way around the headband to give a clean look.
- Make sure and back stitch on the ends to ensure the elastic is secure.
Return to Episode Guide >>
Visit Ken Wingard at www.KennethWingard.com and follow him on Twitter @KennethWingard.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.