1. Start by measuring your shelf. You will want to measure the length and the depth, since the icicles will go along the entire shelf’s outer rim.
2. Take that measurement and cut your felt to the right width.
3. Measure 2” for the top. This will hold the velcro and cover the battery packs for the lights.
4. Taking your pencil, begin to draw icicles on your felt. No two icicles are the same, it doesn’t really matter how great your drawing skills are! Make sure that you vary each one to get a nice, natural look.
PRO TIP: Make sure that you space your icicles so that have a full icicle on each end of the front sides of your shelf and on the depth sides of your shelf. You don’t want half an icicle, and since we are creating this from scratch, you can make sure!
5. Cut out the icicles and discard the additional material.
PRO TIP: You can turn it over and create another one for another shelf.
6. Iron your fabric so that you get a nice fold in it. This will assure that your icicles will hang down instead of out.
7. Taking both sides of your velcro, line the top of the felt fabric by using the self-adhesive edging.
8. Turn to the back side of your fabric and start adding the lights. You can do this with hot glue – just make sure that they cannot be seen from the front.
9. Take additional velcro and add it to the back of the battery pack. You can velcro the battery pack underneath or run it up the side and hide it with décor on top of the shelf.
10. Add wintery décor to your shelf, turn on the lights and enjoy!