1. Layout what design you would like for your welcome mat. I will be doing a rainbow, a house, and a message. Use painter’s tape to tape off any design or letters.
2. If you are cutting a part of this, draw a design on your mat that you like. Since I am making a house, I will draw the top sides of the mat at an angle to mimic a roof line. I will also take a little off each side to make the roof look like it’s over-hanging on the house.
3. Once you have the design you like, cut the mat to shape. Throw away any excess you cut off.
4. If using a stencil, I find that it is easier to lay out the stencil and mark it with a pencil or marker, then remove the stencil and simply paint inside the lines. Since the coir moves around a bit, you want to be very deliberate with your painting. Use and “up and down” method instead of a usual “side to side” method of applying your paint.
5. Because the coir is absorbent, you will need to use more paint that you usually would on any different surface. Keep applying paint until the area is fully saturated.
6. If you are using different paint colors, you can move directly onto the next color without waiting for it to dry. The coir material will not bleed onto its neighboring fibers.
7. Keep painting until you are happy with the design. Set aside to dry.
8. Put outside your door to welcome everyone to your home!
*NOTE: Follow directions for one design, it will differ based on desired shape of welcome mat.