1. Cut your fabric into a rectangle. The height of the rectangle should be double the height you want the bag to be. If you’re using a zipper, then it must be the width of the zipper including the tails. If you’re making a flap, the width can be whatever you’d like.
PRO TIP: If you are creating the flap version, add about 3” to the height for the overlap.
2. Cut two pieces of bias tape to the width of your bag. Glue them onto the raw edge of each end of the rectangle to hem.
PRO TIP: If you can, sew instead of glue! The bags will be easier to was and last longer.
TO CREATE THE ZIPPER VERSION:
1. To make sure you don’t glue the bag to itself, place a piece of scrap material like wood or cardboard on the fabric. Bring the hemmed edges together on top with about ¼” in between.
2. With the zipper zipped, apply glue to the back edges of the zipper and adhere it to the bias tape.
PRO TIP: To secure the placement of the opening, pin the bag until secured with glue. To create the flap version
3. Fold the fabric so it overlaps a bit and secure in place on the sides with glue.
TO FINISH THE SIDES OF THE BAG:
1. Cut a piece of bias tape that is 2” longer than the height of your bag and glue it to one of the raw edges on the bag.
PRO TIP: If making the zipper bag this should go on the side with the end of the zipper, the handle makes it easier to hold the bag while opening the zipper.
2. For the handle cut a piece of bias tape that is about 8” longer than the height of the bag.
3. With 1” excess on the bottom and the rest on top, glue the bias tape to the opposite edge of the bag
4. Lay glue into the fold of the excess bias tape at the top and press together to bond, creating one solid piece of bias tape that doesn’t open.
5. To create the handle, loop the excess on top over. On the back side, glue the tape to itself just above the top edge of the bag.
6. To disguise where the handle got glued, cut a small piece of bias tape, wrap it around the point of connection on the handle and glue in place.
7. To finish the edges, apply glue to the back of the excess bias tape on all corners and fold each end of bias tape up onto the back side of the bag. Press until secure.
8. Allow the glue to set for 24 hours and enjoy!