1. We are going to be making 4” square coasters, so that is the size that we will be cutting all of the wood pieces. For each coaster, you will need 3 pieces of 3/8” square dowel cut to 4” and 8 pieces of flat wood cut to 4”.
2. Cut your wood pieces to size either using a mini miter saw or a hand saw.
3. Set one piece of your flat wood on a flat surface. Using hot glue, glue on the three 3/8” pieces – two on the outer edges and one in the middle. Since these don’t have to be perfect, so you don’t need to get out a ruler to find the middle.
4. Add four flat slots on the top. It’s easiest to add the outer slats first, then the two inner slats.
5. Turn it over and add the three remaining slats on the other side.
6. Dry brush your planks then while the paint is still wet, go over it with a chip brush soaked in water to create a stained effect.
PRO TIP: To make sure they are fully dry before moving on to the next step leave them overnight.
7. If desired, stamp a fun phrase on the edge of the coaster.
PRO TIPS: Start with the last letter first, giving yourself enough room for the rest of the letters.
8. Put a refreshing drink on your coaster and enjoy!