Orly Shani is helping us wrap up and protect our laptops in a fashionable way with DIY Laptop Cases.
DIY Laptop Sleeves
- Heavy-duty non-stretch fabric like faux leather
- Sewing machine and thread
- Rotary cutter
- Metal ruler
- Cutting mat
- Soft tape measure or ruler
- Straight pins
- Out of your heavy-duty non-stretch fabric, cut a long rectangle that is 2” wider than the width of your laptop or tablet using a rotary cutter on a cutting mat against the edge of a metal ruler.
- Place the laptop on the fabric and fold the bottom up to measure out how long the front piece will need to be to comfortably cover your laptop. Then fold the top down and measure the desired length for top flap. Cut to length.
- Cut a piece of felt to size for the interior pocket of the sleeve as padding for the laptop. Make sure to cut it narrower than your seam allowance so you don’t have to sew through four layers of fabric. PRO TIP: if you’re planning to square the corners, cut a 1” square out of the center of each long side of the felt so you won’t have to sew through it.
- Adhere the felt padding to the side of the fabric of what will become the inside of the pocket. Allow to set.
- With the wrong side of the fabric and felt facing outward, fold and pin the pocket in place.
- Sew the pocket with ¾” seam allowance on each side.
- To create the squared corners, fold the sleeve so you create a triangle with the side seam down the center. The bottom corner should be the top of the triangle. Sew across the corner horizontally on the portion where you cut out the square of felt earlier. Repeat on the other side.
- Turn the laptop sleeve right side out.
- If you want to create a pointed shape for the top flap, lift and fold it in half. Use a rotary cutter and ruler on a mat to cut to the center of the flap for a triangular detail and a few inches from the center to create a tag detail that has a flat center but still cuts in on an angle.
- Add any decorative trim or paint to the edge of the flap as desired.
- Slide your laptop in or gift to a loved one and enjoy!