- ¾” Copper pipe
- ¾” Copper pipe connectors
- 8 elbow joints
- 8 tee joints
- Pipe brackets
- Pipe cutter
- Clear gorilla glue
- An existing cushion or supplies to create cushion
- Upholstery fabric
- Upholstery foam
- Serrated carving knife
- Staple gun
- Bar Keeper’s Friend
- Clear spray sealant
1. Determine the dimensions of your stool. You will be creating four “H” shapes that are connected by tee joints, one for each side and one each for the top and bottom. The upper pipes on the side “H” shapes should be 2/3 longer than the ones you cut for the bottom half. The “H” shapes for the top and bottom should be the same length, so the tee joint is centered.
PRO TIP: If you have an old stool with a cushion that’s still good, take the seat off and use that! The seat will determine the dimensions of the copper pipe base.
2. Cut all your pipes to size with the pipe cutter.
3. On a flat work surface, place a bit of the glue in each opening of the tee joints and insert the pipes into the corresponding opening of the joint to create your “H” shapes. To prevent twisting or warping, allow them to lay flat until the glue sets.
4. If you’re not using an existing cushion, make yours while the glue sets. Lay your fabric face down on your work surface, cut your foam to size with the serrated knife and place on top. Place the plywood on top of the upholstery foam, pull the upholstery fabric taut up onto the wood then staple in place. Fold pleats where necessary.
5. Once the glue on your “H” shapes is dry, place a little glue in the connectors then connect the side “H” shapes to the bottom with the 90-degree elbow joints and connect the top to the sides. Allow the glue to set.
PRO TIP: If you want the stool to stay super bright and shiny, clean it with some Bar Keeper’s Friend, then apply a good coating of clear spray sealant. Allow to dry completely before attaching the seat.
6. Attach the seat to the base. With the cushion face down, place the stool centered on the seat, place the pipe brackets and screw them into the wood.
7. Place in your home and enjoy!