Maria Provenzano turns candy corn, a classic Fall treat, into a cute DIY topiary.
DIY Candy Corn Topiary
DIY CANDY CORN TOPIARY MATERIALS:
- Paper Mache cones
- Craft paint in orange, yellow, and white
- Paint for pot in desired color
- Styrofoam ball to fit in pot
- ½” wooden dowel
- ½” diameter drill bit
- Rubber bands
- Acorns, moss or other decorative filling element
- X-Acto knife
DIY CANDY CORN TOPIARY INSTRUCTIONS:
- Separate the cones into three even sections. Place the rubber bands over the cone and use a ruler to make sure it is even all the way around. PRO TIP: The rubber bands will act as painter’s tape to keep the paint lines clean between each section.
- Paint the top white, the middle orange, and the bottom yellow.
- Remove the rubber band and paint over the area it was on carefully. Set the candy corns aside to dry. PRO TIP: You can leave the rubber band on or cover it with something like twine or a ribbon.
- Paint your flowerpot as desired. Allow to dry.
- Once the pot is dry, place the Styrofoam inside and drill a hole in the center to the diameter of the dowel.
- Attach the candy corn cone to the dowel. There are two types of paper Mache cones you can use. One is an open cone and one has a closed base. The open cone gets attached by simply putting a little hot glue at the top of the dowel and then placing it on. The closed bottom just needs a little hole cut in the bottom with an x-Acto so you can slide it onto the dowel.
- Cover any visible Styrofoam with moss, acorns or any other decorative filling element you’d like and enjoy!