Daniel Kucan shows you how to make one.
- Rubber gloves (for safety)
- Paint remover
- Paint scraper/putty knife
- Paint brush
- Muriatic acid
- Take the mirror out of the frame and, after putting on gloves and laying down paper, we are going to put a little paint stripper on the back. NOT A LOT!
- We are just going to strip a small section, maybe 3 x 3" (once the stripper is applied, it takes about 20 minutes to work.
- Scrape off the stripper with a putty knife.
- Wash the whole thing with a wet rag.
- Now that you have a mirror with a little of the paint on the back stripped off, we are going to spray a tiny bit of muriatic acid onto the exposed silver on the mirror.
- Wait 30 seconds for the acid to take affect.
- Take an old photograph like the ones I have here (a map, a sheet of music, etc.) and put them where the stripped silver/paint is.
- Turn the whole thing over and KABOOM look how awesome! What you end up with is a ghostly image within the mirror itself.
- It's a wonderful way to remember someone, or evoke a little character into your mirror images.
- Re-assemble the mirror and you have now customized your own DIY Antique Mirror.
DIY Antique Mirror - Home & Family
Return to the Episode Guide >>
Get more DIY projects at the Home & Family Pinterest Page
Check out more from Daniel Kucan at MortiseTenon.com