Materials for pom poms and tassels:
Directions for pom-poms:
- Keeping the yarn attached to the ball, begin wrapping your fingers (use about three fingers for a small to medium size pom-pom).
- For small pom poms, wrap the yarn around your hand about twenty times. Keep your wraps tight. Also, be sure to center your wraps in the middle of your fingers (You can also use a fork for this), leaving space at the bottom and top of the fork.
- If you want a fuller pom pom, or you're creating a larger pom pom, wrap the yarn around more.
- Cut the yarn and hold the wrap in place.
- Take another piece of yarn that's a couple of inches long and thread it through the bottom of the wrapped yarn from front to back. Then pull it underneath the wrap and back over the top until the ends of the yarn meet. Now tie them together in a knot
- Pull the wrap off of your fingers and pull the knot tighter. The wrap will begin to curl and turn flat and round. The yarn will also make a bunch of tiny loops. Tie another knot on top of the other one just to secure things up.
- Take your scissors and put them under the little loops created in the rounded ball of yarn. As you cut the loops, you'll see the pom pom begin to form.
- Once you've cut all of the loops, go around the pom pom and cut any pieces of yarn that may be sticking out too far in order ot make the pom pom symmetrical.
Directions for yarn tassels:
- Wrap yarn around your four fingers, but not too tight.
- When you have your desired weight or bulk of yarn you’re your tassel, cut off the end leaving about 8 inches hanging down.
- Take the end of the yarn and wind it between your index and middle fingers a couple times and pull to create a knot.
- Release the yarn from your bottom three fingers. Then with your scissors, cut the bottom yarn loop creating a nice fringe for your homemade tassel.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.