When Calls the Heart Watch Party Essentials
- Upholstery fabric
- Circular pillow inserts at least 32” in diameter
- A string, pencil and paper or beam compass for creating circle pattern
- Sewing machine and thread
- Needle and thread
- Fabric scissors
- Paper scissors
- Straight pins
- Material for handles like faux leather or twill
- Extra pillow stuffing
- Leather punch
1. First, you’re going to create a half circle pattern to the measurement of half the diameter of your pillow insert.
If you don’t have a beam compass to make large circles, just tie some string to a pencil and from the center of the edge of the paper, measure the appropriate length. With one hand, hold the string in place and the other, draw the half circle.
PRO TIP: Don’t add seam allowance to the measurement or the cover will be too loose.
2. Cut the pattern out.
3. Double layer your fabric, fold it in half and lay the straight edge of your pattern on the half. Pin the pattern in place and cut out your fabric pieces.
4. With the right sides of the fabric facing each other, pin them together.
PRO TIP: Place the pins close together, fabric slides more easily when sewing on a curve.
5. Sew the pillow cover together leaving a decent sized opening to fit the pillow insert through.
6. Turn the cover right-side out and use an iron to press the seams flat.
7. Use fabric scissors to cut slits in the seam allowance around the entire edge just outside the seam.
PRO TIP: Both pressing the seams and cutting the seam allowance prevent the edges from buckling and looking wavy.
8. Flip the pillow cover right-side out. Stuff in the pillow insert. You can flesh out the pillow even more with extra stuffing if desired.
9. Use your needle and thread to sew up the opening with an invisible stitch also known as a ladder stitch.
10. Cut a length of material for the handle, sew it on and enjoy!
PRO TIP: If you are using a heavy, thick material you can use the leather punch to create two holes on each end of the handle and sew through those to attach.