- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 15- ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- Pinch of salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved, or
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 ½- inch- thick slices rustic Italian bread, Parmesan pan- toasted (see Parmesan Pan-Toasting Method below), halved or cut in thirds to make bite- size pieces
Makes 8 To 12 Appetizer-Size Toasts
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat the oil and the rosemary sprigs until the rosemary has fried up but not burned, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the sprigs and reserve them. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the rosemary oil (just scoop it out with a spoon and put it in a little cup).
- Add the garlic and white beans, turn up the heat, and sauté for 4 to 6 minutes, until the garlic is softened. Add the salt.
- Add the tomatoes and cook them down, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar and cook another 2 minutes, until the mixture comes together.
- Squeeze the lemon onto the toasts and top with roughly 2 tablespoons bean- tomato mix. Drizzle uniformly with the reserved rosemary oil and top with the fried rosemary.
Parmesan Pan-Toasting Method:
- Spread a very thin layer of butter evenly on both sides of a bread slice. Smash freshly grated Parmesan into one side of the toast.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet (ideally) over medium heat. When the pan is hot, place the bread in the pan, Parmesan side down, and toast until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with Parmesan, smashing it in so it adheres, and flip the bread. Toast another 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese on the bottom is melted and crisp but not burned.
Chef Jill Donenfeld Cooks - Home & Family
From Better on Toast by Jill Donenfeld. Copyright © 2015 by Jill A. Donenfeld. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
For more information on Jill Donenfeld, go to:
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv and follow "Home & Family" on Twitter @homeandfamilytv and Facebook. Plus, check out our YouTube channel for backstage videos.