Directions for Chicken Breast
1. Season the chicken liberally with salt and pepper and place it in a large zip-top bag with the onion.
2. Add the lime zest, lime juice, oregano, and oil, seal the bag, and massage the chicken to fully coat it in the marinade.
3. Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours, massaging the chicken whenever you have a moment to evenly marinate it.
4. Just before you’re ready to serve, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly oil the pan.
5. Massage the chicken in the marinade a ﬁnal time, then remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess marinade drip oﬀ (leaving the onions in the bag), and place it in the pan (if the chicken doesn’t all ﬁt in the pan, cook it in two batches).
6. Cook for about 3 minutes, until nicely browned on the bottom, then ﬂip and cook on the second side for 2 to 3 minutes, until just cooked through.
7. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stir in the cream, and cook until heated through and thickened, about 3 minutes.
8. Place the chicken breasts on plates, top with the onions and sauce, and serve.
Directions for Black Rice
1. Place the rice in a strainer and rinse it well under cold running water.
2. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
3. Add the salt, then add the rice and return water to a boil. Reduce the heat to a medium-high and boil, pasta style, for about 30 minutes (or about 25 minutes if you’ve soaked your rice in advance) until the rice is al dente.
4. Drain in a sieve and shake the sieve a few times to remove excess water.
5. Return the rice to the pan, add the coconut milk, and place over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring continuously, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 3 minutes.
6. Turn off the heat, cover and leave for 10 minutes, then uncover, fluff the rice with a fork and serve.