Ingredients for Peppermint Cookies
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring gel
- 1 teaspoon green food coloring gel
Decorations for Cookies
- 1 batch Swiss Buttercream Frosting
- White sanding sugar
Materials for Cookies
- Stocking cookie cutter
Ingredients for Buttercream Frosting
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 sticks (16 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
Materials for Buttercream Frosting
- Heatproof bowl
- Stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment
1. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, cream and peppermint extract until smooth.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, and butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. On low speed, slowly mix in the cream mixture until the dough holds together when pinched.
4. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Tint one portion red and the other green.
5. Shape each portion into a disk and wrap separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets and parchment paper.
7. On a lightly floured surface, divide the red and green dough into 5 portions each.
8. Roll out one red and green portion of dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Cut into strips 5 inches long and ½ inch wide.
9. On a flat surface lined with parchment paper, weave the strips together. Repeat with the remaining dough to make 5 woven grids.
10. Cut out stockings using the cookie cutter. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
11. Freeze the cookies for 15 minutes.
12. Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch but not browned at the edges, about 10 minutes.
13. Let cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. Make the Swiss Buttercream Frosting.
2. Spread the frosting over the top of the cookies for the stocking tops. Sprinkle the sanding sugar over the frosting.
**I like to make 5 woven grids because the dough is more manageable in small sizes, but feel free to make larger grids.
FOR BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
Makes 5 cups
1. Fill a medium saucepan with 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer.
2. In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk together the egg whites, granulated sugar, powdered sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla until combined.
3. Place the bowl over the simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Whisk until the mixture is warm and the sugar has dissolved.
4. Pour the mixture into a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on high speed until the mixture cools to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes.
5. On low speed, slowly add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time until fully combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.