Ingredients for Buttercream
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
Ingredients for Cake
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted butter 170g, room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
Ingredients for White Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 drop GEL food coloring regular food coloring will seize the chocolate
For the Buttercream
1. Melt the white chocolate and cream together at very low heat, set aside.
2. Beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the sugar a cup at a time and beat well. Drizzle in the white chocolate and beat until combined.
3. Separate the buttercream into 4 equal batches and color three of the batches with blue food coloring in different shades for the ombré.
For the Cake:
1. Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Mix the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3. Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined.
4. Divide the mixture into 4 6″ cake pans that have been buttered and floured.
5. Bake at 340 for about 25-30 minutes or until the centers are springy to the touch.
For the Ganache
1. Melt the white chocolate and cream together on low heat. You can do a few 20 second bursts in the microwave at 50% power. stir in the food coloring and transfer to a piping bag.
RECIPE NOTES: Assembly notes: After smoothing the edge of the cake allow to chill for about 10-15 minutes. Cover the top with a circle of parchment paper and roll the cake in sanding sugar. If you use just white sanding sugar the buttercream ombré will show through. You can also use different colors of sanding sugar for an added gradient effect. Drizzle the ganache on top and then top with dollops piped with an 869 tip.