1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 13" pan
2. Crack the 4 eggs into a bowl, and beat them at medium speed with the cocoa, salt, baking
powder, and vanilla for about 4 minutes. You can do this while you're melting your butter
3. In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the
butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Or simply combine the butter and sugar, and
heat, stirring, until the butter is melted. Continue to heat (or microwave) briefly, just until the
mixture is hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it'll become shiny looking as you stir
it. Heating the mixture to this point will dissolve more of the sugar, which will help produce a
shiny top crust on your brownies.
4. Add the hot butter/sugar mixture to the egg/cocoa mixture, stirring until smooth.
5. Add the flour, chips, and candy canes, stirring until smooth.
6. Spoon the batter into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan.
7. Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes
out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The brownies should feel set on the
edges, and the center should look very moist, but not uncooked. Remove them from the oven
and cool on a rack before cutting.
8. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.