Ingredients for Dark Roux
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (Okra Oil is alternative)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour (Brown Rice Flour is alternative)
Ingredients for Gumbo
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 lbs. medium shrimp
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Weeziana Girl Low Sodium
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 smoked turkey drumsticks
- 1 can smoked oysters
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp (ground into powder form)
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 cup green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 3 breast halves) chopped
- 2 pounds smoked chicken sausage, halved, then sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 (8-ounce) package Turkey Tasso, diced
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley leaves
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 2 pounds crab legs (blue, snow, etc…)
- Cooked rice for serving (optional)
• For Roux, in heavy-bottom Dutch oven combine equal parts oil and flour. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it turns color of caramel, approximately 30 minutes. DO NOT BURN!
• Add chicken stock while whisking briskly. Simmer over medium-low heat.
• Peel (save shells) and devein shrimp. In separate bowl mix shrimp, olive oil, Weeziana Girl
and garlic powder. Cover and place in refrigerator.
• Place shells in small saucepan and fill with water until covered. Once boiling, turn down to
low simmer. Cook 15-20 minutes. Add stock only, to Dutch oven.
• Now for the Coup De Grâce, a.k.a. Secret weapon, a.k.a. Smoked Turkey Legs! Special Thanks
to T-Peg, for upping my Gumbo game by showing me the beauty that is smoked turkey and
smoked oysters. Delish!
• Add dried shrimp and smoked oysters.
• Increase heat to medium.
• Chop then add onions, celery, bell peppers, fresh garlic and garlic powder.
• While flavor tango commences in Dutch oven, rough chop chicken thighs into bight-size
chunks, season with remaining Weeziana Girl, garlic powder and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
• Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add seasoned
chicken thighs and sausage, stirring often until well browned, about 10 minutes. Once
removed from pot, set aside to cool while proceeding to sauté shrimp for 7 minutes. Set
• The longer you cook, the better! Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to simmer,
uncovered for 2 hours.
• Once 1 hour of cook-time remains, add diced Tasso, browned chicken thighs and sausage,
parsley and green onions (or as we Louisiana folk call them, Onion Tops).
• Prepare rice, according to directions.
• By now, smoked turkey legs are “fall-off-bone ready.” Remove from pot with slotted spoon.
Detach delectable chunks of meat from skin, center bone and smaller bone chards.
Reintroduce meat chunks to Dutch oven. Discard scraps.
• Once ½ hour of cook-time remains, add Crab legs and sautéed shrimp.
• Enjoy as is or spoon over cooked rice.