Ingredients for Hot Chocolate Bites
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ⅓ cup instant hot chocolate powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Non-stick spray
- Whipped Cream (recipe follows)
Ingredients for Cheddar Waffle Bites
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¼ cup Milk
- 1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Shredded Green Apple
- 1 tablespoon Oil (plus more for the waffle iron)
- Sour Cream/Cream Cheese spread (see recipe below)
Ingredients for Sour Cream Schmear/Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, plus more if necessary
- Kosher salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, optional
Directions for Hot Chocolate Waffle Bites
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, hot chocolate powder and salt together.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and oil.
3. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, beat until combined.
4. Spray a hot waffle iron with nonstick spray.
5. Add 1-2 tablespoon dollops around the waffle iron, making sure they don’t touch when they spread (to maintain the mini-bites). Close the waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Serve with whipped cream.
Directions for Whipped Cream
1. In a chilled small glass bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. It should begin to have some body, but won’t form a stiff peak.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat.
Directions for Apple Cheddar Waffle Bites
1. In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
2. In a separate bowl beat the eggs, sour cream, and milk until smooth.
3. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. You may need to add 2-4 more tablespoons of milk if the batter is too dry.
4. Add grated cheddar, and shredded apple. Mix well so that everything is evenly distributed.
5. Add a tablespoon of oil and mix.
6. Spoon a heaping table spoon of batter into each section of your waffle maker. Cook according to the manufacturer instructions until the waffle bites are golden brown.
7. Serve with sour cream schmear/dip (recipe below)
Directions for Sour Cream Schmear/Dip
1. Combine the cream cheese, sour cream and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl and stir until combined and smooth. If necessary, thin out the spread by whisking in more sour cream or adding milk, a tablespoon at a time.