Ingredients for Pie Crust (makes a double crust, reserve one and freeze for a later date)
- 12 tbsp. (1 ½ sticks) very cold unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup ice water
- ¼ cup chilled vodka (this makes the dough flakier)
Ingredients for Filling
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple sugar (if you can’t find it, substitute regular white sugar)
- 1 cup Vermont maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecan halves, toasted
Directions for Pie Crust
1. Dice butter and chil
2. Place flour, salt, & sugar in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment
3. Pulse a few times to mix
4. Add chilled butter & shortening and pulse 10 times until the butter is the size of fresh green peas
5. With the machine running add the vodka and water through the feed tube until the dough starts to from a ball
6. Dump dough onto a floured board
7. Divide into two disks
8. Wrap each in plastic film
9. Refrigerate one disk for 30 minutes. Freeze the other disk for another use
10. Roll dough on a well-floured board into a circle. Roll from the center to the edge
11. Make sure the dough is at least one inch larger than the 9-inch pie pan
12. Fold dough in half and place it in the pie pan. Unfold to fit in the pan
13. Trim the dough and flute the edges as desired. Chill while you make the filling
Directions for Filling
1. Preheat oven to 375° degrees
2. In a bowl, whisk eggs and maple sugar until smooth. Add maple syrup, butter, vanilla, salt and pecans.
3. Pour into prepared crust.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
6. If desired, top with whipped cream to serve.