Debbie is taking fried chicken, an American Southern staple, and making it with just as much flavor with about half the calories.
- 1 ½ pounds Chicken legs, thighs, or drumsticks
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 large Egg
- 2 tablespoons Low Fat Milk/Water
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons Kosher Salt
- ¾ cup Fine Grind Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 cups Corn Flakes cereal, crushed in zip-top bag or bowl
Un-Fried Chicken - Home & Family
- Whisk yogurt, egg, milk/water, honey, and kosher salt in a large container or bowl. Place chicken in mixture, coat entirely, cover with lid, and chill at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Place oven rack in middle position, and heat oven to 400˚. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil and brush with oil. Remove chicken from marinade and scrape off as much liquid as possible. Reserve marinade in bowl for dredging.
- Whisk cornmeal with paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, oregano, and sea salt in clean bowl.
- Working one piece at a time, coat chicken in cornmeal mixture, then dip in reserved marinade, and finally drop in bag/bowl with crushed corn flakes. Press corn flakes into chicken to adhere. Place chicken, evenly spaced, on baking sheet.
- Bake chicken pieces until golden and crispy, and chicken is cooked through (160˚ for white meat, 170˚ for dark), about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.