- 500g Sugar
- 125g Corn Starch, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- 4 Mastic Crystals
- 1/2 tsp Orange Blossom Water
- 100g Pistachios, shelled and unsalted
- 100g Almonds, peeled and chopped
1. In a medium sauce pan, add 500 grams of sugar to 600mL water. Stir together with the cream of tartar and bring everything to a low boil.
2. In a separate sauce pan, whisk the corn starch with 200mL water over low heat until a smooth paste has formed.
3. Stir the smooth paste into the hot, sugar syrup.
4. Time to begin stirring. Bring everything to a boil, then drop to a simmer. Stir as continuously as possible for about 50 minutes, until the mixture is thick and the spoon leaves a clean line through it.
5. Once the mixture is sufficiently thick, you’ll want to test it by scraping a small spoonful of the gelatinized stuff and dipping it into a cup of ice water. The gel should set and form a squishy lump when pressed between your fingers. Now is the time to add flavoring.
6. Stir in the mastic crystals, orange blossom water, and nuts.
Pour the gel into a prepared tray (greased and floured), then smooth the top with a wet spatula and let it set for a few hours. Dust the top with more corn starch, or cut into squares and roll it in rose petals and barberries (far more traditional flavorings).
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page