Fitness and transformation expert Thomas DeLauer shares his tasty sugar-free take on chocolate nut butter cups.
Creamy Nut Butter Chocolate Cups
- 1/3 cup (85 g/3 oz) *ultimate nut butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or vanilla powder
- 5 oz (142 g) 100% dark chocolate
- Salt flakes on top
ULTIMATE NUT BUTTER:
- 1 ½ cups (200 g/7 oz) macadamia nuts
- 1 cup (100 g/3.5 oz) pecans
- ½ cup (125 g/4.4 oz) coconut butter
- 5 tablespoons light tahini (80 g/2.3 oz)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 tablespoon (15 ml) unsweetened vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
CREAMY NUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CUPS DIRECTIONS:
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler, or use a heatproof bowl placed over a small saucepan filled with 1 cup (240 ml) of water and placed over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature before using for coating. Alternatively, use a microwave and melt in short 10 to 15-second bursts until melted, stirring in between. Let it cool down.
- Mix the nut butter with the cinnamon.
- Place about a teaspoon of the melted cooled chocolate into the bottom of a mini silicon mold and coat the sides of the mold by swirling round the sides.
- Repeat for all 10 molds.
- Place in the fridge for 10 minutes. This will help you get thicker sides and less collection at the bottom.
- Repeat the coating one more time with another teaspoon (you should have about one-third of the chocolate coating left in the bowl).
- Once you have the chocolate cups, add the nut butter (about 1 ½ teaspoon each) and top with the remaining chocolate. Optionally add a few flakes of salt.
- Place back in the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.
ULTIMATE NUT BUTTER
2 cups (515 g/ 18.2 oz)
ULTIMATE NUT BUTTER DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 285 f (140 c) fan assisted, or 320 f (160 c) conventional.
- Place the macadamias and the pecans in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let them cool down for about 10 minutes, and then transfer to a food processor while still warm.
- Add coconut butter, tahini, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed with a spatula.
- Transfer to a jar and store at room temperature for up to a week, or in the fridge for up to a month.