Ingredients for Ribeye Steak
- 1 16-20 oz Ribeye Steak
- Coarse ground black pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Fleur de Sel for finishing
- Tools: Heavy cast iron pan
Ingredients for Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- 1 c Crème Fraiche
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp wasabi powder
- 2 dashes Worcestershire
- 1 tbs horseradish fresh grated (use a microplane for best results)
- 3 tbs minced chives
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Ingredients for Sauteed Mushrooms with Bacon Fat
- 4 oz mixed mushrooms – oyster, hen of the woods, nameko, clam shell, trumpets. Cut roughly the same size
- 1 oz bacon fat
- 2 oz Shallots, julienned
- ½ tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 oz mushroom stock – made from the trimmings and scraps of the mushrooms and water to cover
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tbs Sherry vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- Garnish- Minced Chives
Directions for Ribeye Steak
1) Allow the steak to come to room temperature before cooking. This will help the steak cook more evenly than if it were taken right out of the refrigerator before cooking. Season the steak heavily with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper.
2) Place the cast iron pan over a high flame for at least 10-15 minutes to make sure its ripping hot. A hot pan is necessary in order to form a good crust on the steak. Don’t flip the steak until it has formed a nice dark brown crust. To take the guess work out of how long to cook times, be sure to use an instant read thermometer. For medium rare, remove the steak once the thermometer read 115 when inserted into the thickest part of the steak. 115 is actually a bit lower than the actual temp for medium rare but as the steak is rested it will continue to cook. This carry over cooking can take the steak another 5-10 degrees up in temperature. So we account for that be removing the steak at a slightly lower temperature than what our target is. Another benefit to the resting time is that juices have time to be reabsorbed into the steak before slicing.
3) Just before serving, give the ribeye a light sprinkle of Fleur de Sel for a bit more salinity and crunch.
Directions for Horseradish Sauce
1) In a medium sized mixing bowl lightly whip the crème fraiche to slightly increase its volume. This will help create a lighter sauce.
2) Once whipped, fold in the remaining ingredients and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
Directions for Sauteed Mushrooms
1) Start by heating a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the bacon fat to the pan, swirl around to coat the bottom of the pan.
2) Add the mushrooms spreading them evenly around and allow them to cook for about a minute undisturbed. Add shallots and rosemary, stir in with the mushrooms.
3) Cook another two minutes. At this point the mushrooms are cooked, so we’ll add the stock, butter and the vinegar. Stir and season to your liking.
4) Garnish the mushrooms with minced chives
Get more information about this episode >>
Check out more delicious recpes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page