- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds (680 g) ground turkey or chicken (preferably dark meat)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 (14.5-ounce/415-g) can fire-roasted tomatoes with chiles
- 1 cup (145 g) frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup (90 g) cooked black beans
- 1 ½ cups (170 g) Mexican-blend shredded cheese
Ingredients for Garnishes
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- 5 scallions, white and light green parts, sliced on the diagonal
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips
Serves 4 to 6 | Total Time: 35 minutes (Prep: 10. Cook: 25.)
1. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, red pepper, and poblano pepper and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking it apart with the back of a wooden spoon, until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Add the chili powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes, paprika, and cayenne and stir to combine.
3. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, corn, and black beans. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until the liquid has slightly reduced.
4. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the skillet, cover, then turn the heat off and leave for a few minutes for the cheese to melt from the residual heat.
5. Serve right from the skillet with a garnish of avocado, scallions, and cilantro with tortilla chips alongside.