Debbie Matenopoulos makes this sweet corn dish with a spicy kick.
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 cup Stoneground Cornmeal
- Kernels from 2 ears Fresh Corn (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup Sliced Scallions
- 2 tablespoons Butter, plus more for greasing dish
- 3 Eggs, separated
1. Heat oven to 350˚
2. Grease baking dish. Sprinkle cheese along bottom of dish until covered (a few tablespoons), reserve the rest of the cheese. Set dish aside.
3. Heat milks, salt, and cayenne in saucepan until gently bubbling along the edge.
4. Whisk in cornmeal and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in corn kernels, scallions, remaining cheese, and butter.
5. Beat egg yolks into corn mixture.
6. Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Beat one heaping spoonful of egg white into the cornmeal mixture, then fold the remaining egg whites in gently.
7. Pour cornmeal mixture into baking dish.
8. Bake spoonbread for 35-45 minutes until golden brown on top and cracked in places.