Ingredients for Sumac Onions
- 2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground sumac
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Ingredients for Turkish Spicy Tomato Salsa
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- About a third of a cucumber, grated
- 1 pale green turkish pepper (substitute with yellow greek, italian, or other long sweet pepper
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed to a puree with salt
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 teaspoons paprika paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree - I used sundried tomato puree
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- 1 finely chopped red cayenne chile pepper
Haydari (Turkish Yogurt Sauce)
- 1 cup greek style yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ bunch dill, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
Method for Sumac Onions
1. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons sumac and red onions in a medium bowl. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
Method for Turkish Spicy Tomato Salsa
1. Place tomatoes and cucumbers in a bowl. Season with a little sea salt and toss to combine. Put the tomatoes and cucumber in a strainer and place over a bowl for about 30 minutes to drain.
Note: This process help season and removes excess moisture which intensifies the flavor.
2. Once the tomatoes and cucumber have drained, place all of the ingredients and pulse in a food processor a few times to get the correct consistency.
3. Cover and chill until you are ready to serve.
Method for Haydari
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until evenly combined. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
2. Cover and chill until you are ready to serve. Garnish with mint leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page