- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 10oz fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine the ground meat, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well, then form into 4 oval patties, about 1/2 in (1cm) thick.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties, arranging them so they don’t touch each other. Brown patties well on both sides, about 3 min per side. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and cook, stirring for 5 min, or until transparent . Add whiskey.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are softened, 3 to 5 min.
- Sprinkle in the flour, stir well, then add the broth. whisk to eliminate lumps, until sauce starts simmering and begins to thicken.
- Return patties to pan with the mushrooms. Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes turning the patties over once and basting with sauce.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with mashed potatoes to soak up the gravy.
Minced Steak and Mushrooms in Whiskey Cream Sauce
For more information on Stuart’s apron line, go to: