Ingredients for Buns
- 4 cups (508 grams) bread flour
- 2 tablespoons (24 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (7 grams) instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups ( 300 grams) warm whole milk (120°F/49°C to 125°F/52°C)
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- ½ cup Strawberry Cream Cheese (recipe follows)
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- Strawberry Cardamom Sugar (recipe follows)
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
Ingredients for Strawberry Cream Cheese (Makes about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces (225 grams) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (8 grams) freeze-dried strawberries, powdered (see PRO TIP)
- ½ cup (73 grams) diced fresh strawberries
Ingredients for Cardamom Sugar (Makes about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup (5 grams) freeze-dried strawberries
- 1 teaspoon (2 grams) ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) lemon zest
Ingredients for Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (Makes about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces (115 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1½ tablespoons (21 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups (180 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup (4 grams) freeze-dried strawberries, powdered (see PRO TIP)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 grams) whole milk
Directions for Buns
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine flour, sugar, yeast, poppy seeds, and salt.
2. In a large measuring cup, stir together warm milk and melted butter. With mixer on low speed, gradually add milk mixture and egg to flour mixture, beating until a soft dough forms, stopping to scrape sides of bowl, if necessary. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes.
3. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Spread Strawberry Cream Cheese onto dough. Fold dough into thirds, like a letter. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Butter and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Spread butter onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on one long side. Sprinkle with Strawberry Cardamom Sugar. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log, pinching seam to seal. Trim ends. Slice into 12 rolls. Place in prepared pan. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, about 45 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
8. Bake until golden brown and puffed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting. Serve warm.
Directions for Strawberry Cream Cheese
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat all ingredients at medium-low speed until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Directions for Cardamom Sugar
1. In the work bowl of a food processor, place all ingredients; process until well combined. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Directions for Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy. With mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar and freeze-dried strawberries, beating until combined. Add milk, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) at a time, beating until desired consistency is reached. Use immediately.
To make powdered freeze-dried strawberries, place freeze-dried strawberries in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until reduced to a powder.
Get more information about this episode >>