Directions for Buns
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine flour, sugar, yeast, poppy seeds, and salt.
2. In a large measuring cup, stir together warm milk and melted butter. With mixer on low speed, gradually add milk mixture and egg to flour mixture, beating until a soft dough forms, stopping to scrape sides of bowl, if necessary. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until smooth and elastic, about 7 minutes.
3. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Spread Strawberry Cream Cheese onto dough. Fold dough into thirds, like a letter. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 10 minutes.
5. Butter and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle. Spread butter onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on one long side. Sprinkle with Strawberry Cardamom Sugar. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log, pinching seam to seal. Trim ends. Slice into 12 rolls. Place in prepared pan. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, about 45 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
8. Bake until golden brown and puffed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting. Serve warm.
Directions for Strawberry Cream Cheese
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat all ingredients at medium-low speed until well combined. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Directions for Cardamom Sugar
1. In the work bowl of a food processor, place all ingredients; process until well combined. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Directions for Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed until creamy. With mixer on low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar and freeze-dried strawberries, beating until combined. Add milk, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) at a time, beating until desired consistency is reached. Use immediately.
To make powdered freeze-dried strawberries, place freeze-dried strawberries in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until reduced to a powder.
Get more information about this episode >>