Ingredients for Braised Lamb Shoulder
- 1 small lamb shoulder (cut into 2-3in chunks)
- 1 carrots roughly chopped
- 1 onions roughly chopped
- 1 leeks roughly chopped
- 2 stalks of celery roughly chopped
- ½ bunch for fresh thyme
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1.7 oz tomato paste
- 33 oz white wine
- 16 oz veal stock
- 16 oz chicken stock
Ingredients for Roasted Rack of Lamb
- 1 whole lamb rack (approx. 8 bones)
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil (rub)
Ingredients for Ras El Hanout Sauce
- 10 shallots (sliced thin) (torpedo)
- 20 black olives (sliced thin)
- 1.4 oz sherry vinegar
- 1.4oz honey
- .5 oz Ras el hanout
- 3.3 fluid oz Harissa
- Lamb jus (braising liquor)
- Parsley and Coriander stalks
Ingredients for Mint Chimichurri
- ½ cup packed fresh mint
- ½ cup packed fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
Ingredients for Eggplant Puree
- 2 Italian large eggplants
- 1 pinch cumin
- Sea salt
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
Ingredients for Smoked Black Cabbage
- 3 heads Tuscan cabbage, julienned
- ¼ cup neuske’s bacon, diced
- 1 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lamb stock
- Juice from 1 lemon
Directions for Braised Lamb Shoulder
1. Season lamb with salt and pepper
2. Sear lamb pieces in sauté pan on medium heat until browned
3. Place seared lamb into shallow braising pan, add all ingredients and then add braising ingredients to cover about 2/3 of the lamb.
4. Braise at 300 degrees F for about 1.5 hours
Directions for Roasted Rack of Lamb
1. Season and roast the rack until desired temperature at 350 degrees in the oven and cook until pink.
2. Allow to rest.
Directions for Ras El Hanout Sauce
1. Sweat the shallots and olives in some olive oil, deglaze with sherry vinegar, and reduce.
2. Add the honey, ras el hanout and harissa and the herbs.
3. Add the braising liquor and simmer until reaches sauce consistency
4. Remove herb stalks.
Directions for Mint Chimichurri
1. Pulse together in a food processor
Directions for Eggplant Puree
1. Puncture skin with a fork on all sides, place eggplants directly on the grill preferably wood fired.
2. Char eggplant skin until it is crackling and smoky, almost burnt like. Cook the eggplants all the way through, they will balloon up and then deflate
3. Once eggplant has cooled down, roughly chop eggplant skin and all and place in a food processor. Add ½ cup roasted garlic puree, pinch of cumin, sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Directions for Smoked Black Cabbage
1. In a large cast iron pan sweat the neuske’s bacon in olive oil over medium heat. Add chili flakes, shallots and chopped garlic.
2. Add all the cabbage and mix well. De glaze with lamb stock and lemon juice and allow time to reduce.
Directions for Plating
1. Base of the plate spread a healthy portion of charred eggplant puree
2. Top with braised cabbage.
3. The braised lamb shank will be placed on top of this with the roasted lamb chop just off to the side.
4. Around the plate drizzle the ras el hanout sauce and fold in a little chimichurri.
5. Garnish the spring lamb with micro pea tendrils or pea shoots.