Ingredients for Spaghetti
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground veal
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 Cup breadcrumbs or panko
- 1⁄4 Cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 3 tsp salt, pepper to taste
Ingredients for Sauce
- 3 Tb olive oil
- 1-6 oz Can tomato paste
- 3 cans whole peeled tomatoes – blend in blender
- 2-3 cloves garlic – chopped very fine
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Small dash oregano leaves – use with care
- Large fresh basil leaves torn
- 3-4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 stick butter
Directions for Spaghetti
1. Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly.
2. With hands or a 2oz scoop, shape into balls.
3. Heat a heavy bottom pan with a couple of circles around the pan with vegetable oil its ready when it starts to get shiny.
4. Sear meatballs and turn as they cook for even browning.
5. Once they get a nice color, place in simmering tomato sauce to finish cooking (poaching). Once cooked through (about 10-15 min) serve over your al dente spaghetti and garnish with grated cheese, fresh herbs, and chili flakes
*Notes: To make softer meatballs, add extra slices of dry breadcrumbs soaked in water and squeezed dry for the 1⁄2 Cup bread crumbs. -Can use 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef and 3⁄4 lbs ground pork or 1⁄2 lb ground pork, 1⁄2 ground veal, and 1 lb. ground beef or 1 lb. ground pork and 1 lb. ground veal.
Directions for Sauce
1. Heat oil in large enamel cast iron dutch oven.
2. Add garlic – brown slightly (to reduce acid), then add paste. (Very important to watch your heat and to keep stirring at this point because it will burn very easily. Add your butter.
3. When the paste turns a deep red color, add the tomatoes and puree, and remaining ingredients and stir until well blended (emersion blender works great too).
4. Simmer low, uncovered – watch heat because it will burn easily – stir very often. 5. When oils rise to the top, your sauce is completed. roughly 1/2-2 hours. Once cool a bit taste again and adjust seasonings.