Ingredients for Crust
- 1/2 box (12 cookies) graham crackers, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Ingredients for Chocolate Layer
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Ingredients for Pumpkin Filling
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch salt
Ingredients for Marshmallow Topping
- 2 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from 1 packet)
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. To prepare crust, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add butter and stir with a fork until mixture resembles wet sand. Firmly press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until just set. Let cool slightly.
3. Combine chopped chocolate and cream in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour into crust and spread into an even layer in the bottom.
4. To prepare pumpkin filling, whisk pumpkin with eggs until smooth. Whisk in sugar, cream, milk, spices, and salt until evenly incorporated. Pour into crust, taking care not to overfill the crust (depending on the size of your pie pan you may have a little bit leftover).
5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until center is just set. Remove from oven and let cool completely, then refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or overnight. Take out approximately 1 hour before making marshmallow topping to allow any condensation to evaporate.
6. To prepare marshmallow topping, place 1/4 cup cold water in a small dish. Sprinkle gelatin over and let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
7. Combine sugar, remaining 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup corn syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, and boil until mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
8. Place remaining 1/4 cup corn syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer. Microwave gelatin mixture on high for 5 to 10 seconds or until completely melted, then add to bowl with corn syrup. Turn mixer to low speed, and slowly drizzle in hot sugar syrup. When all the syrup has been added, increase mixer speed to medium-high, and mix for 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat on the highest speed for another 5 minutes, until marshmallow is opaque, glossy, and tripled in volume.
9. Working quickly, dollop marshmallow mixture onto pie, and use an offset spatula to spread and shape it into a mound. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes to allow the marshmallow to set, then gently toast with a kitchen torch until golden brown and blistered. Serve at room temperature. (Tip: to slice, first run a knife under hot water for 30 seconds; then quickly dry and use it to slice your pie. The warm knife will cut through the marshmallow and chocolate layers much cleaner than a cool knife).
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page