Red Bread's Rose Lawrence is making a delicious dish using sonora flour.
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk soured with lemon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sorghum
- 1 cup sonora
- 1 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 3 teaspoon thyme, picked
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
ingredients for Lemon Butter
- Zest of 4 Lemons
- 1 Cup butter, Softened
Skillet Cornbread - Home & Family
Serves 8 -16
1. Preheat oven to 400F with a rack in the middle. Load 9” cast iron skillet to heat through 15 minutes before baking.
2. In a large bowl whisk together sonora, cornmeal, thyme, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Make a well in the center of your dry mixture. Add buttermilk, egg, sorghum and melted butter.
4. Pull skillet from oven and add a knob of butter, swirling to coat. Return pan to oven for 2 minutes to get fat hot. Remove pan and pour in batter. Return pan to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
Directions for Lemon Butter
1. Mix together the butter and lemon zest.