Yields 24 pieces
For the Shrimp Cakes:
1. Preheat 3” of frying oil in a heavy-bottomed pot to 375° F.
2. Preheat oven to 450° F.
3. In a food processor, puree the shrimp, shrimp paste and fish sauce in batches until slightly chunky but mostly smooth. Then transfer to a metal bowl for mixing. Use an ice bowl under it to keep cold.
4. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT PANKO together thoroughly.
5. Once incorporated add 3 cups of panko slowly into the mix.
6. Refrigerate for 45 mins.
7. On a scale, portion 1.3-ounce shrimp balls, then lay in a large baking dish filled with the remaining panko.
8. Coat each shrimp ball evenly with panko.
9. Form shrimp balls into medium tall cakes.
10. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan.
11. Fry the shrimp cakes, in small batches, for 3 minutes at 375° F.
12. Remove from the oil and drain onto a paper towel-lined sheet pan.
13. Then bake in the oven for 5 min at 450° F.
14. Serve hot!
For the Sauce Louis:
1. Combine all ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
For the Garnish:
1. Place a few tablespoons of Sauce Louis onto a plate.
2. Set four Shrimp Cakes over the sauce.
3. Gently toss the shave fennel, parsley leaves and Piquillo peppers together.
4. Top the shrimp cakes with a small portion of the garnish and finish with a drizzle of basil oil.