Ingredients for Salad
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tough outer leaves removed
- 2 (1/8-inch-thick) coins unpeeled fresh ginger
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 11/2 cups mung bean sprouts (see Kitchen Wisdom)
- 1 avocado, pitted and cubed
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
- Ginger-Chili Dressing (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup dry roasted salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 small Thai chili, seeded and thinly sliced; or 1/2 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped Lime wedges
Ingredients for Ginger-Chili Dressing (Makes 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice (from the grapefruit prep in salad recipe)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 small Thai chili, seeded and thinly sliced; or 1/2 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped lemongrass (from the lemongrass prep in salad recipe)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (such as nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Directions for Salad
1. Finely chop 1 teaspoon lemongrass from the thick end of the stalk and set aside for the dressing. Bruise the remaining stalk with the back of a chef’s knife.
2. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Place the lemongrass stalk in a large saucepan and add the ginger coins, 1 teaspoon salt, and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
3. Add the shrimp and cook until opaque and bright pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to the ice water. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes, then drain and pat dry. Discard the aromatics.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut away the skin and bitter white pith from the grapefruit. Cut in between the membranes to release the grapefruit sections into a large bowl. Cut the grapefruit segments into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Squeeze and pour excess juice from the membrane into a separate bowl and reserve 2 tablespoons of the juice for the dressing (drink the rest!).
5. Add the shrimp, sprouts, avocado, basil, cilantro, 3 tablespoons of the dressing, and a generous pinch of salt to the grapefruit segments; gently toss to combine. Divide the salad among serving plates, then drizzle with the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the peanuts, chili, and additional basil and cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Directions for Dressing
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapefruit juice, lime juice, sugar, chili, ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce, and salt.
2. Whisk in the oil. The dressing will keep, refrigerated and in a small, airtight container, for up to a week.